Thursday, May 19, 2011

Today I want to talk about  my grandparents, known to me as Nanny and Poppie. Kaetlin, when she 2 years old, referred to Poppie as "Poppie Eat" (his last name was Neat).  They have both passed on to the next life.  They were the sweetest grandparents! I loved going to stay overnight with them.  Nanny would fix me scrambled eggs and toast in the mornings and then I would beg for coffee and she always said "You won't grow if you drink too much coffee."  Maybe that's why I'm the shortest sister....And at some point during the day we would head off to Russell Springs, where I would ride on the arm rest in the front seat between my Nanny and Poppie (I hear that is frowned upon these days).  We would make a stop at Malonies where I would usually get some kind of little toy and then we stopped at Hardee's and my sweet grandparents sat in the kids corner with me and we ate our roast beef sandwiches.  They lived in a small, cozy house, a place where I always felt at home.   Nanny had such a sweet smile and a calming voice.  Poppie had blue eyes that danced when he smiled.  Poppie was a World War II veteran and Nanny waited on him to get home from the war so they could get married.  I remember celebrating their 50th anniversary :) They had 3 children. Michael, their second child died at 9 months of age from severe allergies.  They lived a simple, happy life.  They had so much love to give and when I think of them my heart smiles.  I miss them very much and I am eternally grateful for them.  I know that I am blessed for having them in my life. The picture above is the last time I saw my Nanny alive, she passed away about a month later.  I have such sweet memories of them both! I can still see my 80 some year old poppie chasing my cousin Madison around in the yard and Nanny seemed to always be cooking and insist you eat! Ok, that's all for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment